Memory Lane


Has the weather ever given you a sense of nostalgia? Has it ever brought back memories of what you were doing this time last year? Maybe it's just me, but the memories that come with the weather are often as strong as memories associated with certain smells. Just this morning, I was flooded with a bunch of memories and emotions that were associated with the windy and overcast morning that I stepped into. 

I'm not quite sure what point I'm trying to make other than expressing gratitude for the chance to experience these memories and feelings. It gives me the ability to see how far I have come, to determine what things that I want to change, and to be grateful for what I've had the opportunity to go through.

This time last year, I was quite a mess. The boy that I loved didn't love me back and I felt like I had made the biggest mistake by breaking up with him in the first place (even though at the time, I thought that's what I wanted). However, despite this, I was blessed beyond measure to be able to see the hand of the Lord in my life. My friends listened. My family cared. I cried. Let me tell you about the crying: I couldn't stop it. It was like someone had turned on a faucet that I just couldn't close. Let's be honest though, it felt kind of nice to just cry it out. 

Despite the difficult nature of some of the memories I'm experiencing, I do appreciate them. They are a constant reminder of how far I have come. I am definitely not the same person I was then, and I am grateful for that. The change that I am most grateful for has been the relationship I have developed with my Heavenly Father. Boy, does He care! All the progress I made could not have been done without Him. It is such a great joy to know that our progress doesn't have to stop here either! We have this whole life AND all eternity to progress and become our best selves. 


Now, back to my weather memories. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer when I talk about the memories I have been having. Also, I don't mean to bring Debbie into this. Poor girl. She must have had ONE bad day and now she is stuck with that reminder forever. Anyway, all my weather-related memories are not bad. In fact, most are quite happy! The chill in the air reminds me of my first winter in Utah and how exciting everything was. The cool breeze reminds me of walking to school and hoping for rain or snow by the end of the day (I know, I'm in the minority in that hope). And the list goes on!

Here's the thing though: as great as these memories are, don't let them become the only thing that you have. What I mean by that is that you should go out and make more memories! Let this holiday season be a time of memory rejuvenation. Make memories that you can cherish in years to come! You never know when you will need to rely on those. 


Happy Monday!

Comments

Post a Comment