5 Things

When I was on study abroad, one of my directors asked us something that really got me thinking. The question? What 5 things have helped you become the person you are today? Well, because yesterday was thanksgiving, and because I'm grateful for the things that have made me the person that I am, I'd like to share them with you:


1. My religion - I would not be the person I am today without the knowledge, comfort, and love that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has given me.

2. My family - Although we don't always get along, I know that I can trust them with my life. They have been there for me through thick and thin. They know me better than anyone else and still love me, imperfections and all. They are patient with me, and we strive to make each other better. I am so grateful that I can be with them for all time and eternity.

3. My experiences - There are many that I would definitely not have chosen. However, it's like when you are picking a major in school. More often than not, there are required classes that you absolutely do not want to take. The knowledge they teach though is invaluable. That's how I feel about some of my experiences. In the end, I have to go through them in order to become the person that Heavenly Father wants me to be- that I want to be. Might as well enjoy them, right? As cliche as this sounds, I would not be the person I am today without my experiences.

4. My education - The gift of learning is something that I will never take for granted. It is wonderful to be able to know why things work the way they do and be able to have insightful conversations with people. My education has given me knowledge and opportunities that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

5. My friends - As hard as it is for me to rely on people, I have learned that I can rely on my friends. Like my family, I know that they will be there for me. I used to take pride in the fact that only my family had seen me cry. However, crying is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign that you care. Being able to sit and cry with a friend is a very humbling yet cherished experience. My friends have taught me so much and been there for me when my family couldn't be.

Bonus: Humor - What is life without laughter? Being able to laugh about things like gravity checks and short jokes just makes life more enjoyable. So does having fun doing the mundane [and dare I say boring] things, like going grocery shopping or studying in the library. One thing that I've learned though is to not judge people based on their sense of humor. We all have fun and laugh in different ways. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Love it. Life is grand!


What 5 things have helped you become the person you are?

Comments