Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

I was sitting in the terrace of the Wilk, studying my little heart out, when I heard the most melodious music coming from the piano in there. Many of you know that, at BYU, there are almost as many pianos scattered around campus as teachers {that's a joke} so that's not why this was surprising. 

Here are the reasons why this was a shock:
  1. The fact that a talented someone can have the guts to play one of the pianos in a very populated part of campus and make it sound good, no GREAT, astounds me. And I'm sure many would agree.
  2.  There wasn't a single sheet of music in front of him. It was All. From. Memory.  
*Coming from someone who's always struggled to memorize piano songs, this is a BIG DEAL.
Anyway, back to the story. 

So this music was fantastic. Imagine Mozart, but modern. It was that good. (At least it was to me, a poor college student who hasn't played a piano in months) And he threw in some hymns as well. Oh and don't even get me started on his transitions between songs... AMAZING. Not going to lie, I felt like I had my own theme music as I studied. Lame, I know, but hey, I had to make studying feel more epic than it really was. 

When I finally turned to see who was playing, I'm not going to lie, I was slightly surprised. But in a pleasant way. I pictured a young lad, fresh of the mission, just trying to sharpen his musical talent a bit. 

Nope. 
It was an older, heavier set man. 

Now, I'm not one to judge based on appearances, so believe me when I say this: I didn't judge this man. He immediately went onto my list of reasons of why it is important to see people as Christ sees them: Not as they are on the outside, but as they are on the inside. Cliche, I know. And simple. But it's in the simplicity that the beauty resides. I know that if I had seen this man walking on the street, I would not have ever imagined that he was capable of playing like that. I'm so glad that the first time I saw him, I was able to see him for the talented man he is.

Going along with that, I read this on makesmethink.com:
Today, during a fire evacuation at school, I ran outside to find one of the thugs at our school, who is notorious for being a tough guy, holding my little sister’s hand (she’s a special needs student) and telling her, “You’re okay. You’re safe,” and calming her down as she slowly stopped crying. MMT


Moral of the story: Don't Judge A Book (or person) By Its Cover


Comments

Post a Comment